Alpinestars Tech-Air 10 Autonomous Race Airbag System
** ALL SIZES CURRENTLY SOLD OUT WITH ETA OCT FOR THE NEXT SHIPMENT COMING IN TO THE USA. YOU CAN PRE-ORDER TO RECEIVE ONE IN THAT SHIPMENT IF YOU'D LIKE, BUT IT WILL NOT SHIP UNTIL THEN. NO DEALERS HAVE THESE RIGHT NOW, WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING SEVERAL MONTHS FOR THIS SHIPMENT TO COME IN. DO NOT ORDER IF YOU'RE NOT WILLING TO WAIT FOR THE SHIPMENT. **
Derived from Alpinestars’ participation in MotoGP, Tech-Air® 10 is a slim, self-contained wearable Airbag System that offers unrivaled body protection to racers, track day riders, and road riders by covering the rider’s shoulders, chest, full back, and hips. Tech-Air® 10 can be worn under any Alpinestars Tech-Air® Ready suit, or any third-party leather suit with 4 cm of space around the circumference of the rider’s chest and 2 cm around the circumference of the rider’s hips to accommodate the inflation of the airbag, in the event of a crash.
NOTE: Tech-Air 10 systems currently being imported are the SHORT LEG version. We understand that many riders will prefer a LONG LEG version, and the long-leg base layer WILL BE available to purchase separately very soon, and can be installed in your Tech-Air 10 system, allowing you to can swap back and forth for the long or short leg base layer any time.
WHY TECH-AIR 10 vs. the other Tech-Air offerings?
- Tech-Air 10 is a fully autonomous system and can be worn under any race suit with enough extra clearance to accommodate the inflation. Alpinestars recommends 4 cm chest, 2 cm hips as the minimum clearance. The system will ALSO fit perfectly under any Tech-Air Compatible suit as well, so you have the choice on those to use the Tech-Air 10 or the integrated Tech-Air Race system.
- Tech-Air 10 offers the maximum body coverage of any airbag system currently on the market with full chest, back, shoulder and hip coverage.
- Tech-Air 10 can be worn under your street riding gear as well as your track riding gear.
Tech-Air 10 HOTTEST QUESTION:
Does Tech-Air 10 replace the Tech-Air Race line? I just bought a Tech-Air Race system, is it obsolete now?
- No. Tech-Air 10 is an all-new system that CAN be used as a dedicated track system, so it's an option for any track rider/racer, BUT the Tech-Air Race is still the right choice for many riders. Tech-Air RACE is the only system which offers TWO airbag deployments before needing to be repacked. Tech-Air RACE is also the only system that can be zipped into a Tech-Air Compatible suit for a seamless and no-hassle fit. If you have a Tech-Air Compatible suit, Tech-Air RACE is still a great option and Alpinestars continues to produce the Tech-Air RACE system.
NOTABLE FEATURES OF TECH-AIR 10:
- Active electronic system featuring 12 sensors (3 triaxial accelerometers plus 1 triaxial gyroscope) and a crash detection algorithm that leverages AI to accurately monitor when to deploy the airbag in the event of a crash.
- Impact absorption while wearing the airbag results in a 95% reduction in force transmitted compared to traditional passive armor. When deployed, Tech-Air 10 protection is comparable to wearing 18 traditional back protectors stacked on top of each other!
- Tech-Air 10 is CE Level 2 certified for both chest and back.
- A remote wireless LED display indicates the system's operational status and can be worn on the wrist or installed on your bike for viewing. There is a charging base integrated into the belt to recharge the wireless display while the system is being recharged.
- Battery life of the integrated Lithium-Ion battery is 24 hours of riding time.
- Maximum inflation time of the airbag when deployed is 40ms.
- Powering on the system on just requires zipping the front and attaching the belt, the belt closure is the switch that turns it on.
- Software can be put in RACE or STREET mode, for use both on and off the track. When in RACE mode, after turning on and heading out on track the system automatically arms when the motion is detected over 37mph for 10 seconds, and goes into standby mode when dropping below this threshold for 10 seconds. This saves battery life and prevents unnecessary deployments at low speeds. In STREET mode, the system stays active the entire time the system is powered on, to protect against rear collision at stoplights, etc.
- Charging time to fully charge is approximately 4 hours. A quick-charge of 1 hours will provide 6 hours of ride time when in a pinch for time, such as on a long weekend street ride. Charging is done via USB-C charging cable, included with the system.
- The Tech-Air 10 system base layer is removable and hand-washable.
- Total weight of the entire Tech-Air 10 system and base layer is 2390 Gr (in Size M), about 5 lbs.
- Bluetooth connectivity to your smart phone or tablet using the Tech-Air App allows system monitoring as well as switching between riding modes, and firmware updates when available. The Tech-Air App also features a "My Ride" trip function to store and display trip information.
- Due to the increased size of the bags to offer hip coverage as well, the 2 integrated Argon gas cylinders BOTH deploy together and the system must be sent in for reset/repack before it can deploy again. This is different from the Tech-Air RACE system, which will deploy only 1 of it's 2 cylinders, and can offer a 2nd deployment before it needs to be reset/repacked (Sizes up to XL only).
- Cost of repack/reset approximately mid-$200 range (TBD), with the 3rd repack being slightly higher as the full bag components will be replaced every 3rd time. Currently the system must be sent to Alpinestars in California (which you can do, or you can give it to us and we'll send it in for you). Alpinestars is planning to roll out a Tech-Air Dealer reset/repack program soon, which we will be a part of and can then do the work right here at Ducati Omaha, cutting down your turn-around time.